Have you ever attempted something and failed?
Have you ever let fear of failure stop you from trying something?
Which did you regret more?
I hope it was the chance not taken.
Amazing facts about the world’s biggest failures
- Walt Disney went bankrupt…several times.
- Thomas Edison tried more than 6,000 materials as the filament in a light bulb before he found one that worked.
- The notes from Fred Astaire’s first screen test said, “Can’t act. Can’t sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little.”
- Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times.
- Winston Churchill failed sixth grade and lost every public election he entered until he was elected Prime Minister at age 62.
- Vincent van Gogh sold only one painting in his lifetime.
- The manager of the Grand Ole Opry fired Elvis Presley and told him he ought to go back to driving a truck.
- Albert Einsten was refused admittance to Zurich Polytechnic School.
- F.W. Woolworth wasn’t allowed to wait on customers at his job in a feed store because he “didn’t have enough sense.”
- In his junior year, Michael Jordan failed to make the high school varsity basketball team.
- Charles Goodyear began experimenting with rubber while in debtor’s prison.
- JK Rowling applied for welfare benefits, describing her economic status as being “poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain, without being homeless.”
Source: Fail Better, a book by Herter Studio, Running Press, Philadelphia, London
- Are you courageous enough to share one of your failures with us and the lessons learned?
- Is there something you’ve been wanting to try? Share it with us and we’ll be your accountability and support system.
- What else is on your mind today? Anything at all. I just love hearing from you.
Christie is an author and professional communicator who blogs about life transitions, wellness, mindfulness, and anything else that answers the question “So what? Now what?”